Skip to main content



Covers university buildings and contents for physical loss or damage as a result of a sudden and accidental occurrence.  Property covered is subject to a $5,000 deductible per occurrence. The following types of property damage are examples of areas which are not covered by insurance:

  • Deterioration, depletion, rust, corrosion or erosion, wear and tear, or latent defect.
  • Settling, cracking, shrinking, bulging, or expansion of foundations, floors, walls, ceilings, or roofs.
  • Damage resulting from changes in temperature or humidity.
  • Damage resulting from insect, animal or vermin.
  • Pollution or contamination.
  • Fungus, mold or mildew.

 Property Loss Reporting

In order to be covered, property losses must be reported to Risk Management & Insurance promptly but not later than 90 days after the loss.  The incident needs to be reported using the form MSU Property Loss Report.  Refer to Guidelines to Recovery from a Major Property Loss to assist with gathering information on the property loss.

Claim Process

Once the Property Loss Report is received by Risk Management and Insurance, the claim will be further reviewed and additional discussion and documentation may be required.

For details on settling a property loss claim, refer to Section 35 of the MSU Manual of Business Procedures