Auto Liability & Physical Damage

Automobile liability insurance provides coverage to the University and its authorized drivers for damage to property and bodily injury to others.  Physical damage insurance covers damage to MSU owned vehicles.

Vehicle Usage

The University policies and procedures are in place to support the safety of faculty, staff, and students driving MSU owned vehicles while on University business.  For detailed information on who is an authorized driver and what their responsibilities are refer to Section 35 of the MSU Manual of Business Procedures.

Accident Reporting

Any accident involving a MSU owned vehicle must be reported to the appropriate police authority.

Each MSU owned vehicle’s glove compartment should contain the following documents:  Automobile Accident Report form (PDF), What To Do When an Accident Occurs (PDF) document, and a current certificate of no-fault insurance.  If involved in an accident, review the What To Do When an Accident Occurs document for direction.  The driver of the University vehicle or an authorized departmental representative must complete the Automobile Accident Report form (PDF) as soon as possible and forward it to Risk Management & Insurance.

Vehicle Repairs

To arrange for repairs to the vehicle, contact the MSU Service Garage at 517-355-1868. For additional information, see Infrastructure Planning and Facilities Vehicle Repairs

Claim Process

The Risk Management and Insurance Department is responsible for facilitation of all automobile claims.  Therefore, it is important to assist with this process by completing the Automobile Accident Report form (PDF) in a timely manner, always contacting the police, and referring all inquiries or correspondence received from anyone representing the other driver in an accident to Risk Management and Insurance.  This process will ensure compliance and assist with the recovery of funds as per the Michigan No-Fault law.

Accidents involving injuries to employees must be reported to MSU Human Resources Workers Compensation division.

Return to Top


Covers medical costs arising from accidental injuries to enrolled participants in sports and academic camps at MSU.  For coverage information, please reference the MSU Camp Insurance document (PDF). To enroll, provide the following information to Risk Management and Insurance at

  • University Account Number
  • Dates of the Camp
  • Title of the Camp
  • Department Contact Name, Phone & E-mail Address
  • List of the Participants

Once the above information is received, the participants will be enrolled and you will receive an e-mail confirming the enrollment.  The fee for the insurance is $1.40 per participant / per camp.  Once the camp is completed, our office will submit a Distribution of Income and Expense charging the premium to the university account provided.  Please notify our office of any changes you have in enrollment prior to the camp ending.  Once the Distribution of Income and Expense has been prepared, all participant numbers will be considered final.

Claim Process

In order to file a claim for coverage, complete the accident claim form (PDF). The MSU department that the participant is enrolled through should complete the bottom portion of the form and have the parent or legal guardian of the participant complete the top portion of the claim form. Upon completion of the form, it should be submitted to the First Agency either via US mail at the address indicated on the form,  via fax to 269-381-3055 or by email to: The First Agency will make contact with the parent or legal guardian to facilitate the claim process.  If the department or parent/guardian has any questions regarding the claim process, please contact the First Agency at 269-381-6630.

Return to Top

Educators Legal Liability

Covers defense costs and payment of claims resulting from wrongful acts which may have caused damages that the University is legally obligated to pay. Claims may arise from organizational errors and omissions, trustee and officer liability, employment practices, negligent instruction, failure to grant due process, copyright infringement, idea misappropriation or other actions.

Return to Top

Fine Arts

Coverage includes property owned by, or loaned to, the University with an established appraised value. Covered property includes (but is not limited to) museum collections, jewelry, precious metals, paintings, rare books, sculptures, rare coins and antiques. Property must be scheduled (information provided to the insurer in advance) for coverage to apply.  In order to schedule coverage, provide the following information to Risk Management & Insurance:

  • Artist/Lender
  • Lender Address
  • Exhibit Title
  • Dates of Exhibit
  • Detailed Description of Artwork (title, medium & values)

Return to Top

Foreign Auto Physical Damage

Covers physical damage to University owned vehicles that are scheduled for use in foreign countries. Physical damage coverage may have been purchased in the country of origin, however because insurance regulations and procedures vary widely by country, we recommend purchasing a U.S. policy. The company that underwrites this risk in the U.S. has expertise in handling claims in foreign countries.

To schedule a vehicle to be added to the Foreign Auto Physical Damage policy, provide the following to Risk Management & Insurance:

  • Vehicle Year
  • Vehicle Make
  • Vehicle Model
  • Vehicle VIN
  • Vehicle Value
  • Country Where the Vehicle is Located
  • Purchase Order Number if Available
  • University Account Number

The premium for this coverage is charged to the requesting department.

Return to Top

Foreign Liability

Provides coverage in foreign countries for General Liability, Auto Liability, and Accidental Death and Dismemberment.

Return to Top

General Liability

Covers defense costs and payment of claims resulting from injuries to persons or damage to property of others that the University is legally obligated to pay. This coverage includes police professional and liquor liability as well as for claims that occur outside the United States as long as the claim is brought in the United States.

Return to Top

International Travel

Effective August 15, 2018, MSU's International travelers are covered by a new international medical and travel assistance plan provided through International SOS.

Please access International Health Insurance for more detailed information regarding this coverage.

Return to Top

Medical Professional Liability

Covers defense costs and payment of claims for injuries arising from the rendering or failure to render healthcare services by a medical professional employed by the University. More information can be found at Frequently Asked Questions About Medical Professional Liability Insurance.

Return to Top

Non-Owned Aviation

Covers claims for bodily injury and property damage resulting from the use of a non-owned aircraft.

Return to Top


Covers university buildings and contents for physical loss or damage as a result of a sudden and accidental occurrence.  Property covered is subject to a $5,000 deductible per occurrence. The following types of property damage are examples of areas which are not covered by insurance:

  • Deterioration, depletion, rust, corrosion or erosion, wear and tear, or latent defect.
  • Settling, cracking, shrinking, bulging, or expansion of foundations, floors, walls, ceilings, or roofs.
  • Damage resulting from changes in temperature or humidity.
  • Damage resulting from insect, animal or vermin.
  • Pollution or contamination.
  • Fungus, mold or mildew.

Property Loss Reporting

In order to be covered, property losses must be reported to Risk Management & Insurance promptly but not later than 90 days after the loss.  The incident needs to be reported using the form MSU Property Loss Report (PDF).  Refer to Guidelines to Recovery from a Major Property Loss (PDF) to assist with gathering information on the property loss.

Claim Process

Once the Property Loss Report is received by Risk Management and Insurance, the claim will be further reviewed and additional discussion and documentation may be required.

For details on settling a property loss claim, refer to Section 35 of the MSU Manual of Business Procedures

Return to Top

Special Event

Insurance available for purchase by groups holding one time events on campus who do not have insurance that meets the University's requirements for private events.  The policy provides the required levels of coverage to use the facilities and protects the individuals or organization holding the event.  Additional information and quotes for coverage can be found at the TULIP website.  If you have questions regarding this coverage, contact Bobbi Boland via e-mail at or by phone at 517-355-5022 ext. 3.

Return to Top

Veterinary Professional Liability

Covers defense costs and payment of claims for injury or damage caused by a medical incident arising out of the provision of or failure to provide veterinary medical services.

Return to Top


Coverage includes watercraft owned by the University with an established value. Covered property includes: hull, tackle, apparel, boilers, machinery, appurtenances, equipment, stores, boats and furniture. The watercraft must be scheduled (information provided to the insurer in advance) for coverage to apply. To schedule a watercraft to be added to the Navigation policy, provide the following to Risk Management & Insurance:

  • Watercraft Year
  • Watercraft Make
  • Watercraft Model
  • Watercraft Identification Number
  • Watercraft Value
  • Purchase Order Number if Available
  • University Account Number

The premium for this coverage is charged to the requesting department. While departments are not required to purchase Navigation insurance, they will assume the entire financial responsibility of any physical damage to the watercraft if they choose to not insure it on this policy. Watercraft is one of the specific exclusions on MSU’s property insurance policy.

Return to Top